Spaghetti (Squash) and (Chicken) Bolognese Healthy Pasta Recipe
Replacing regular pasta with spaghetti squash makes a healthy, easy weeknight meal. Try this recipe by retired police officer (with type 2 diabetes) Rob and his wife Connie, profiled in this month's Accu-Chek Update.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 medium spaghetti squashes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 14.5-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Veggie-boosting options: Add diced red pepper, celery, carrots, mushrooms or chopped kale when sauteeing onions, and cook a little longer to soften.
To prepare squash:
- Cut the spaghetti squashes in half from top (stalk end) to bottom. Scoop out seeds and loosen pulp with a spoon and discard.
- Cover the cut side of one half with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 8 minutes. Repeat with three remaining pieces. Let cool a bit before unwrapping.
- Once cool, scrape out the flesh of the squash with a fork, creating spaghetti-like strings, with one-half of a squash for each serving.
To prepare sauce:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Stir in crushed garlic.
- Add the ground chicken and cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes until sauce thickens and flavors come together.
- Spoon sauce over spaghetti squash and top each serving with a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition information per serving:
Total fat: 15g
Saturated fat: 4g
Total carbohydrates: 20g
Dietary fiber: 5g
Total sugars: 9g
Interested in more food tips?
Explore recipes and more on Accu-Chek.com