When you have diabetes, accuracy matters. Stick with the brand you trust.
Some test strip suppliers may tell you otherwise, but Accu-Chek products are always covered1 by Medicare Part B at the same low co-pay2 as all other brands.3 Some companies may even try moving you to another brand, but you do not have to switch.
You can take some simple steps to preserve your choice and ensure you’re not switched to a low-quality product:
- Say "no," if your strip supplier tries to switch you to another brand.
- At your next visit, ask your doctor to specify Accu-Chek test strips by name on your prescription.
- Ask for Accu-Chek strips by name from your test strip supplier. If they no longer carry Accu-Chek test strips, you can purchase them from local retail pharmacies. For a list of retailers that offer Accu-Chek products, visit our Where to Buy page.
Get smart answers about Medicare Part B coverage and diabetes supplies by mail order
What if my mail-order supplier tells me I need to switch to another brand?
You do NOT have to change brands. Patient protection rules exist to help ensure that you have access to the supplies you know and prefer to use. The anti-switching rule requires providers to furnish the brand of testing supplies that work with the monitor currently in use by the patient. It was established to protect patient and physician choice of glucose monitors.
Still, some providers carry just a few brands. If the supplier you contacted doesn't carry Accu-Chek products, visit your local retailer to purchase your Accu-Chek test strips.
Am I required to get my strips through mail order?
No. If you have Medicare Part B, you can also get diabetes testing supplies from a retail pharmacy.
Where can I get Accu-Chek test strips?
With Medicare Part B, you can get Accu-Chek products at retail pharmacies such as CVS, Kroger, Rite Aid and Walgreens. For a list of retailers that offer Accu-Chek products, visit our Where to Buy page.
Will I have to pay more if I don't agree to switch to a generic brand?
No. Your out-of-pocket costs will be the same for Accu-Chek test strips.3
Why should I stay with Accu-Chek products?
There are many reasons! To name a few:
- Our products are designed to be easy to handle, easy to dose and easy to rely on.
- The Accu-Chek Nano meter with Accu-Chek SmartView test strips, and the Accu-Chek Aviva meter with Accu-Chek Aviva Plus test strips, deliver fast, accurate results.
- Accu-Chek Guide and Accu-Chek Nano meters and Accu-Chek Guide, Accu-Chek SmartView and Accu-Chek Aviva Plus test strips are manufactured in the U.S.A.4
Learn how Accu-Chek products ensure accurate results when you check your blood glucose.
1Accu-Chek test strips are covered when medically necessary for the patient and prescribed by a physician.
2Coverage may vary based on your conditions and other factors.
3For suppliers who accept Medicare assignment.
4Using U.S. and imported materials.