Cauliflower soup recipe
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 3/4 cup Fat Free Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 clove Garlic
- 1/4 Bunch Spring Onions (Scallions)
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 whole Cauliflower, trimmed (about 200 g)
- 3/4 tsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 tsp Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/4 slice White Bread
- 1/2 back Bacon with Fat Removed (or reduced fat, reduced sodium bacon), chopped
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Pour milk and water into a large saucepan.
- Peel and roughly chop garlic, and add to the milk and water.
- Finely chop the white part of the spring onions and add to saucepan, keeping the greens for later.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and add to the saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the oil, cheese and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Cut the bread into cubes and evenly coat with the cheese mixture. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp and brown. Toss at least twice during baking.
- Fry the chopped bacon over medium heat using non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Finely slice the spring onion tops and set aside.
- In a food processor or with a hand blender, purée the soup. Add more black pepper, if desired, and heat through.
- Ladle into a soup bowl and top with the spring onions, croutons and bacon.
Nutritional values per serving:
Calories: 200 kcal
Protein: 14 g
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fiber: 5 g
Cholesterol: 10.7 mg
Sodium: 536 mg
Interested in more food tips?
Explore recipes and more on Accu-Chek.com
Recipe and picture taken from the low GI, low fat recipe book by registered dietitians Gabi Steenkamp and Liesbet Delport, Eating for Sustained Energy 3 (Tafelberg).